Food recipes

Monday, February 19, 2018

A cantina in San Miguel de Allende

Pen, ink and watercolor on Handbook Journal 8 in x 8in. Ink on location, watercolor in studio.

El gato negro is a traditional Mexican cantina in San Miguel de Allende, so the cantinaTenampa, almost next door. The last one was busier and had a bigger crowd coming in and out. So I chose The Gato Negro. The parked cars next to the sidewalk in front of the two doors of this cantina made both entrances hard to sketch. So I placed my stool between two parked cars to sketch only one entrance, praying the drivers saw me before moving the cars. I draw the frame of the door using perspective to show how low I was seated. I did the same with the stone frame to the left but I think I over did it. I like it anyway. 
The small space inside invites you to go the second floor, if you don't mind claustrophobia. I love the salon swinging doors, so wore out and falling apart. I wonder how many times these doors have been open. Whatever the number is plus one, mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment