Food recipes

Friday, February 16, 2018

An incomplete strange day, San Miguel de Allende

Pen, ink and watercolor on handbook journal 5.5 in x 8 in
This is Emmanuel. A cook who works in Mariscos Los Delfines, a seafood stand at the Mercado Ignacio Ramirez. There's always stand up people waiting for a seat at the bar in the very narrow alley, food must be good.....and it was. I started to sketch after I finished my lunch but I didn't finish the sketch. I couldn't stay seated longer when there was people standing, so this is what I got, a sketch missing color, at least I put a little bit of it on his persona.
Color chalk on concrete table
Later this same day, we found a cafe. We saw a very small advertisement sign in the frame of a door with very narrow steps leading upstairs. There, at the roof, the cafe/restaurant's tables had a cup with color chalk, an open invitation to draw, which I did. It was, however, a sketch missing in my sketchbook, I couldn't take it home, but I was happy to use other media and leave a greeting on the table.
Pen, ink and watercolor on Moleskine Art Plus Watercolor 3.5 in x 5.5 in
The last sketch of this day was this dog which I have seen several times in this window at sunset. -"This time I'll sketch you". I started to sketch the dog before it moved, it was a good decision, because I happen to be at the very moment in which the owner of this dog arrived home and the dog left the window. Then I realized  the dog was missing a leg. When I finished the sketch I waited for the dog to return to the warm spot in the window to take a photo. I waited....and waited.....and waited. It never came back. Now I have a photo of a window and a missing dog. I thought the dog was smart for choosing a warm spot but it turned out it has been waiting for its owner all of these times I've seen it. Sweet dog, lucky owner.

But what a weird day.

Update: It's name is Juan, and took a photo of it the other day. So this post is not so incomplete after all. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment