Food recipes

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Quartet of Saxophones, Jazz in Morelia

Pen and ink and watercolor in a Hand book Journal 5.5 x 8.25 in
Our hosts invited us to go to the UNAM Cultural Center Morelia to attend a concert of a jazz played by a quartet of saxophonists called SX4. This group is formed by a teacher, the man in the hat, and his students. Originally the concert was scheduled to performe outdoors in the central patio, but because of the rain, it was moved to an art gallery room which capacity was very limited, so few of us were lucky to come inside. The concert was brief, or at least that how it felt, since I lost track of time sketching. I started to sketch from left to right. When I realized the teacher didn't make it in the same page, as I intended to (that's one of the things about sketching straight with ink), I sketched him in the next page but the sketch wouldn't look balanced so I improvised and included the camera man. I liked it better because the sketch tells a story. At the end I showed the sketch to the musicians, and they liked it. The teacher was a pro, his improvisations were masterfully played, but the students weren't left back behind, they played beautifully, they are in the path to success. Thanks to our host Dolf and Jirla for this great idea, we really enjoyed ourselves.Music here

No comments:

Post a Comment